Canvas for Students
Canvas is a great new system that offers a lot to students. Students will have the ability to follow their courses easily. You can learn your way around Canvas better here.
Canvas Cheat Sheet (An important one)
Student Log In
Canvas now provides a simple form of logging in for students. All WHS students have Canvas accounts and each student will use the credentials that he/she uses to log in to FirstClass to log in to Canvas.
Conversations (Messaging System)
Canvas uses a messaging system called Conversations to communicate with users. Canvas users are now able to send both private messages and group messages. You must publish your course for students to be able to view the Conversations you send, this is a difference from Blackboard.
To get to your Conversations:
- From any screen, click Inbox, located on the top right of the screen.
- If you have any Conversations they should appear.
To read a Conversation:
- Once you are at the Conversation page, on the left you can choose one of the Conversations.
- The Conversation will appear over on the right.
To create a Conversation:
If you wish to send a Conversation to a group or course:
- Click the text box labeled Enter a name, course, or group located on the right.
- Click the blue address book icon.
- You can then choose the course or group in the list to send to everyone in that choice by clicking on the name.
If you wish to just send a message to an individual:
- Click the text box labeled, Enter a name, course or group, located on the right.
- Click on the blue address book icon.
- Click the arrow to the right of the Course or Group name.
- Click the name of the recipient, and start to compose your Conversation.
If you wish to send a Conversation message to several individuals:
- Choose the Course or Group they are in located in the drop down menu of the contact list.
- Click the arrow to the right of the name of the Course or Group.
- Next to the individuals names, check the box located next to each of the names.
- Then compose your message.
Canvas allows you to choose what notifications you’re interested in, when you want to receive them, and how you want to receive them.
- Go to your Profile located at the top right of your screen.
- On the left hand side of the screen, click the tab labeled Notifications.
- Once there, you’ll see a list of multiple notifications you have control over. Customize the settings to your preference
- Repeat the steps above for each notification preference.
- You can choose when you are notified by choosing a box with a green plus sign in it to the right. The choices include, in this order:
- Notify me right away.
- Send notifications for the day in one message.
- Send notifications for the week in one message.
- Don’t send me anything
- Click Save Preferences, located at the bottom.
NOTE: There are two ways you can customize your account to be notified:
- You can choose to have both notifications sent to two different emails, or text to two different numbers
- Or, you can choose to have the notifications sent to one email, and text to one number:
Also, students may choose to be notified via a Facebook application, a Twitter feed, or several other communication tools. These tools must be set up in the Profile area.
Canvas provides tools that allow you to personalize your profile according to your preferences.
- To edit basic profile information:
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen, click the tab labeled Profile.
- Once on the page, you’re free to edit your Full Name, Display Name, etc.
- You’ll also notice on the right side of the screen an area titled Ways to Contact. Here you can list as many emails as you find necessary, as well other methods of contact, such as text messaging.
- Toward the bottom of the screen you are able to register for other services, including: Google Docs, Skype, Facebook, Linkedln, Twitter, Delicious, and Diigo. Students will be able to follow instructors through these different Services if you register for them.
Services for Students
There are several different services that you can register for to help the progress of your class.
ePortofolios for Students (Different from WHS ePortfolio)
Canvas has an ePortfolio for every person in the system. An ePortfolio is a place where you can display and discuss important submissions and experiences that are happening during your learning process. You can use an ePortfolio in several different useful ways, including:
- Display the papers you’re proud of for more than just your instructor to see.
- Talk about all the process of the work that went into your class submissions.
- Create an overview of your educational experience as a whole.
- Share your work with friends, future employers, etc.
ePortfolios can be public, or private so only those you allow can see, and you can change that setting at any time.
Your ePortfolio can be found by,
- On the top right corner of your screen, to the right of your name, click Profile.
- On the left, click ePortfolio.
To create your ePortfolio,
- Click Create an ePortfolio button located on the right.
- Name your ePortfolio.
- Check the Make it Public box if you wish to make it public.
- Click Make ePortfolio.
- There is a Getting Started Wizard that will walk you though each of the steps. See the table below for the options that appear.
- Towards the lower part of the screen, you can choose one of your submissions to add to a page.
- In the middle of the page, you can decide whether you want to make your ePortfolio public by sending out links.
- On the left, you can click Organize Sections, to organize your sections.
- You can also click ePortfolio Settings to change whether it is public or not.
To view your actual ePortfolio, click Go to the Actual ePortfolio located in the middle of the screen next to an arrow.
You have the ability to add images and change the layout of your ePortfolio.
You can always return to your ePortfolio dashboard by clicking Back to Portfolio Dashboard located on the right side of the screen, next to the arrow.